The congregation first met in 1939. That year marked a turning point for the world as World War II broke out in Europe. At first, the tiny congregation met just as the first Christians did—in a home, with E. C. Coffman serving as the first minister for the 39-member congregation. As the congregation grew during the next 10 years, its members met in several public buildings in the area. By 1950, the congregation had built its first facility, and membership that year grew to 125.
As the West University congregation has matured over the years, many able leaders have provided spiritual guidance. The congregation has been blessed by a succession of loving, able, and spiritually minded elders and ministers. In addition, countless deacons, teachers, and other men and women of faith have given their time, efforts, and talents while they have been members at West University Church of Christ. Most importantly, God has blessed the congregation richly.
Throughout the 80+ year history of West University Church of Christ, God has given us many great opportunities for ministry:
– The Medical Center continues to grow and draw patients, doctors and other medical professionals to the area and to our congregation.
– The University of Houston, Rice University, and medical schools bring thousands of young people right into our backyard.
– The city of West University Place has been a stable , affluent location that has an excellent base for spreading the Gospel in the area
– The industries in the Houston area have sent our members and former members throughout the world, enabling them to teach Christ in ever corner of the globe.
Here are some key details throughout the decades of our church’s history: